"Merced has nothing"

There are opportunities everywhere, some harder to find than others. One of the most important things to remember are to accept the tools and opportunities in front of you. Hear from our very own newly initiated brother about taking matters into her own hands (with a little help from her p-bro). Her journey to success doesn't stop here, but it does begin here. We feature Rho class' Brother Andrea Cristobal's story in today's blog.

Andrea Cristobal | 2nd Year | Public Health | Rho Class

"Moving from a big city to a small town, it was hard for me to find my “home” in Merced. In my first year of college, I was in a dark place struggling to find myself. Every single day I would go through the motions, not knowing what my purpose was being a student at UC Merced. I always complained about the negative aspects of coming to school here. I would always say that, "Merced has nothing," when in reality, everything was in front of me. It was a matter of utilizing the resources that UC Merced offered me. I found my “home” and my purpose in life after making the decision to join Alpha Kappa Psi.

Before joining AKPSI, I was stuck in a daily routine that didn’t help me learn and grow as a person. My days consisted of sleep, eat, gym, and school. I wasn’t involved in any clubs/organizations or extracurricular activities. I was goal-oriented, but I wasn’t going after what I wanted. I made my decision to rush Alpha Kappa Psi shortly after a near-death experience. I took a step back, looked at my life, and saw new perspectives that helped me realize that life is too short to settle and make excuses. It was time to change things up, and discover what I am really capable of. Although I was dragged by my best-friend to rush, I don't regret my decision and forgive her for making me do it. My PNM process for Alpha Kappa Psi challenged me to embrace the discomfort in my professional and personal life.

Through my PNM process, I was finally going after and pursuing what I wanted personally and academically... GROWTH. The process helped me improve my soft and hard skills that are necessary in the workplace after college. My confidence level boosted as I constantly saw myself taking on new activities as a leader. The 8 week process was a humble blessing because it gave me the opportunity to work with 11 great individuals. Their support inspired me to work harder, because they saw the potential in me that I didn’t see within myself. I challenged my limits during my PNM process, and aimed for a second job on campus. I learned how to manage my time wisely while balancing two jobs, school, and my social life. I am currently a Student Assistant for the School of Natural Sciences and Group Fitness Instructor/ F45 Trainer for our Recreation Department. Becoming a Group Fitness Instructor/ F45 Trainer has given me a better understanding of what I am passionate about and what I am meant to do. I wouldn’t consider my new position as a job, because I am doing what I love while creating a healthy and emotionally positive impact on people’s lives. Alpha Kappa Psi has given me the best relationships and interactions with motivated individuals. I am grateful for everything Alpha Kappa Psi has taught me, and for developing me into an impactful brother to my university and community."

Comments

Popular Posts