Lifelong Learnings

Among the many opportunities Alpha Kappa Psi offers, the Principled Business Leadership Institute is one of high importance to the Psi Upsilon chapter. The yearly convention, which is better known as PBLI, allows members to continue to enhance their professional development. Every year about 15 to 20 brothers from the Psi Upsilon chapter attend PBLI. Some brothers have attended more than once; each time bringing back something they learned with the purpose of strengthening and growing our chapter. This blog is for the individuals that ask how the Alpha Kappa Psi, Psi Upsilon chapter continues to grow in a new way every year. Brother Manar Harran, from the Xi Class, shares her experience of attending the yearly event, PBLI. 

Manar Harran | 3rd Year | Management and Business Economics | Xi Class

       “Alpha Kappa Psi, Premier Developer of Principled Business Leaders! Two years ago, I pursued the brotherhood of AKPsi and embarked on a challenging new journey towards my professional success. My decision in pursuing this organization stands as one of the best decisions I’ve made thus-far. This weekend, I had the HONOR of attending PBLI on behalf of the Psi Upsilon Chapter at UC Merced. This conference is a fundamental learning and leadership experience designed for all individuals seeking to enhance their professional development. PBLI offers three unique pathways: Leadership Pathway (educational sessions), Officer Training (chapter operational learning), and Case Competition (business challenge). I had the opportunity to attend three workshops including: HR Managers and Recruiters, Serving as Principled Decision Maker: Understanding Foresight and Alignment and finally Ethics in the Workplace. I was also able to participate in an astonishing Resume Review session as well as a Mock Interview.
       Before tackling a new job, organization, position, project or in this case, a conference I always refer back to something recognized as the Golden Circle; the Golden Circle has three realms. The outer most portion of this figure is your WHAT; identifying your what is typically the easiest thing to do. After your what follows your HOW; next you must identify all the necessary steps that you need to take in order to accomplish your what. The inner most part of this circle, is your purpose also recognized as your WHY; this sometimes could serve as a difficult factor to identify in your circle but it’s also the most important. Identifying your why helps shape your thought process, your goals and aspirations and your purpose. Your why is the reason you wake up every morning to do what you best with joy in your eyes, passion in your heart and determination in your life. Your ‘why’ serves as the true embodiment of your professional success and the pure epitome of your happiness. Before pursing the brotherhood of Alpha Kappa Psi, I ensured that my Golden Circle was full. My love and passion for this organization is re-ignited each and every day by my WHY.
       Attending PBLI and being able to share this space with HUNDREDS of brothers from different chapters, campuses and states was truly a humbling and eye-opening experience. Before entering the space, I was not familiar with many of the faces around me, however, I shortly recognized that it didn’t matter. Acknowledging that our journey to brotherhood within Alpha Kappa Psi served as the foundation of our life-long commitment truly spoke volumes to me. The three letters on my jacket meant more than just representing an organization; it meant Brotherhood, Unity, Service, Integrity and Knowledge. We are a value-based organization, and our core values are truly what tie us together as life-long brothers of AKPs. I was able to connect and network with some of our valuable Psi Upsilon alumni and hear their journey to success. One thing that they all had in common is that they never forgot where they came from. They always tie their professional success back to their experience in Alpha Kappa Psi. Connecting with our alumni is very crucial and can certainly help aid our road to professional success.
       Throughout my college career I have always struggled with tying my professional goals and aspirations with my passions in life. I always thought that the two could not co-exist in a perfect world. As the conference advanced this weekend, I believed that I stumbled across the right person in the right moment. I was able to attend a Resume Review session in which I was able to speak to a professional about what I wanted to do in life and later moved on to speak about what I was most passionate about. My passion in life falls back on this notion of providing necessary resources to those who need them. With my experience working with disadvantaged youth, incarcerated youth, women’s programs and various social justice initiatives, everything that I did was for the people, serving the people, supporting the people and guiding the people; I am a servant leader. The professional I met with could easily spot a sparkle in my eyes when I began to speak on my passions in life. She said to me that the skills that I’ve gained through those experiences are all very transferable and applicable in many sectors in the business industry. My passion should serve as the key-leading factor when it comes to my career goals. I learned that to be a successful businesswoman, my passion and my work should always align.
        I’m very fortunate to have been granted the opportunity to attend PBLI this past weekend. I was able to build on my network as well as better understand my position and now I’m ready to come back and share my knowledge and continue to make Alpha Kappa Psi’s, Psi Upsilon chapter grow and thrive."


Psi Upsilon Chapter | PBLI Bay Area 2018


                                                                                  

Comments

Popular Posts