The Process

Every brother in our Psi Upsilon chapter can agree on one thing... the process is tough. But with that being said, every brother can also agree that they have never grown personally and professionally in such a short amount of time. Now that the 8-week process has come to an end for our newest class, the Sigmas, we can hear from one Sigma about how he felt. Brother John Larios wanted to find a place to be himself at UC Merced and has found himself in the home of Alpha Kappa Psi. 


John Larios | 2nd Year | Management and Business Economics | Sigma Class

“Before I decided to join Alpha Kappa Psi, I reflected on my first year at UC Merced and came to the conclusion that I wanted to do more with my time than just have fun and be an average student. I look up to the ideals and high standards that Alpha Kappa Psi has for its members along with the individuals’ ideals for themselves.  During recruitment week, I was able to talk to a handful of brothers, each sharing their experiences and memories within the organization that left an impacting memory. What they experienced was something that I wanted to experience for myself and be able to share to those around me. There was a common theme when talking to the brothers - hard work and dedication led each one to success and triumph not just academically, but also in the real world. Looking back at the process, I can say with confidence that I grew not only socially and professionally, but also as a leader. If you met me the first few weeks, I was shy and not able to express my thoughts and ideas with my potential new member class. I was afraid of the rejection of my ideas or backlash from members because they didn’t know who I was. This changed as I got more involved not only with just the fundraising events I hosted with my committee, but also with other committee events like our professional and social ones. I was able to gain the trust and confidence of my PNM brothers that lead me to gradually expressing my ideas and thoughts helping lead to a more efficient method of communication within my Sigma class. I had a goal in mind for our fundraising committee - I wanted more of our class to not just raise money and participate, but have a lasting memory of us creating something together that they can look back to and share. 

Everything I did within the potential new member process had a purpose behind it. I now see my p-brothers like family and just like with any family, you will always be there for them and would do anything to protect them and guide them in the right path to success. Success is different for everyone. I had set goals to accomplish before the process in order to measure my success and growth at the end of my 8-weeks. The process has helped me accomplish these goals and has given me a drive to set new goals and aspirations. Along with the goals for myself, I have goals to help the future of our chapter continue with success as well. The growth you go through is something beautiful and it should be something everyone has a chance to experience. Thank you.”

Comments

Popular Posts