Balance is Key

Today's blog is about finding your balance. We understand going through recruitment, maintaining excellent grades, and working, all while having a social life seems impossible. Every one of our brothers have gone through their fair share of balancing life itself. Hear what it was like, from a brother's perspective, to balance everything along with some crucial tips to staying on top of your game. This post is shared by Brother Monique Vargas from Psi Upsilon's Pi Class. Monique is currently studying Psychology with a minor in Sociology in the graduating class of Spring 2019.


         "The University of California, Merced and I have quite a bit in common. Since stepping foot on this campus, it has changed immensely, as have I… As a psychology major in my third year, I have involved myself in various organizations such as the Campus Activities Board (CAB), Alpha Kappa Psi, and the Merced Experimental Social and Health (MESH) Psychology Laboratory.

         Starting my spring semester of my freshman year, I found myself as a Volunteer In Programming (V.I.P) for CAB, which was the beginning of prioritizing school work and managing my time. My second year at the university, I joined Alpha Kappa Psi because I felt like I was already involved academically and socially, but not learning skills necessary for the work place after college. As a second year planning the school’s concerts and pledging for Alpha Kappa Psi, I utilized my free time by reviewing notes and studying for my Potential New Member (PNM) classes. I began to plan my days out, which eventually led to me planning my weeks out. I was now factoring in midterms, PNM classes, mandatory CAB meetings and events, mandatory Alpha Kappa Psi events, and my own social life. It was not easy. I was challenged and I felt like I could not balance it all. However, looking back I know I can and I know the essential resources to be able to manage being a full-time student, involved on campus, and still enjoy my life. One needs access to Google’s calendar to visually create their typical week tasks such as classes, discussions, designated homework time, gym and meal times, and organized meeting times. Another essential resource is a planner. The planner will come in handy to help write down any plans that come up throughout the day. Then later when you review the agenda, you could update your calendar on your phone/laptop with any meetings or dates in the weeks to come. The third and may be most important resource is support; whether it is your own support or friends and family support. It is helpful to have someone besides yourself, who understands your priorities, commitments, but also reminds you to put aside your commitments and have fun. My involvements have allowed me to learn more about my school, connect to other peers, provide me opportunities that not all students get, strengthen my time management skills, and stay focused.

         If my friends and brothers had to describe me in three words, they would use: organized, passionate, and committed. My spring semester of my second year was just the start of an chaotic, yet organized lifestyle.  Entering my third year, I found myself simultaneously planning the CAB Fall concert: Treats N Beats as well as both the Alpha Kappa Psi Blue Sapphire Banquet and Senior Secret Week. The events were each one week apart! Once October hit I was in full event-planner mode. That did not stop me from going to social gatherings, taking trips to San Francisco, and hiking in Yosemite. This was all achievable because it was up to me to stay on top of all my schoolwork and external organizations' tasks, therefore prompting me to plan my weeks out. Sometimes it was necessary to cut the gym out or not hang out with friends on a Thursday night, but rather a Saturday afternoon. Now, in my spring semester of my third year, I balance CAB, Alpha Kappa Psi, Research, and classes. I find myself surrounding myself with others who are involved, but don’t forget we're in college. We work during the day, so we can have fun at night or the weekend.  Sometimes you will need to say 'no' more than 'yes.' Sometimes you may take the weekend for yourself and only yourself... And that is okay! It gets difficult balancing it all. It is tough, I will not lie, but all do-able. Some days are harder than others, but it is lifelong learning experience to remember."

Comments

Popular Posts